If your polyurethane has turned yellow, you’re not alone! It’s a common problem, but luckily it can be fixed. In this post, we’ll take a look at four of the best non yellowing polyurethanes on the market. We’ll also share some tips on how to fix yellow polyurethane. Keep reading to learn more!
Polyurethane is a durable finish that lasts very long on the material. But over time, the polyurethane starts to yellow. So how do you fix this? Does using non yellowing polyurethane help with this problem?
What Is Polyurethane
It’s a super-tough varnish containing minuscule chains of resin molecules that link closely with one another as it cures. The end result is a significantly more resistant finish to water, solvents, abrasion, and impacts than standard varnishes.
Some polymers contain oils that give wood a warm, golden color. If you want to maintain the light hue of the wood, apply a water-based poly.
Why Does Polyurethane Turn Yellow
Polyurethane foam turns yellow as it ages due to a chemical reaction in which the amine in the polyurethane reacts with oxygen under UV radiation to generate yellow quinone. Depending on the amount of sunshine, the reaction occurs in batches and spreads over time.
Or if your wood has accidentally turned yellow, don’t worry, below we have suggestions on how to fix yellowing poly and in more detail is 3-step method to fix yellow polyurethanes.
However, non yellowing polyurethanes are available that help to keep your items looking like new! With non yellowing polyurethane, you can make sure your items look their best for years to come.
4 Best Non Yellowing polyurethanes
Product #1: Best Clear Coat For Wood – Bona Traffic HD Commercial Extra Matte
While Bona Traffic HD is more expensive than the majority of its water-based competitors, it is by far the greatest non yellowing polyurethane choice. The coat remains clean and protects the natural look of your wood, especially in areas with little sun exposure.
The poly is produced from high-quality polymers, making it the most lasting alternative on the market. This durability will help you save money in the long run.
We particularly like Bona Traffic HD because of its low VOC profile. VOCs are volatile organic chemicals that are present in paints and other wood finishes. When utilized in high numbers, they give these products a strong odor and can emit harmful vapors.
Inhaling VOC-rich product fumes might produce dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, and a few other unpleasant symptoms.
People who are allergic to the fumes may also experience adverse responses. Low-VOC cabinet clear coatings are always preferable, and Bona Traffic HD has some of the lowest VOC levels.
- This non yellowing polyurethane dries quickly, saving you time during application.
- Because Bona Traffic HD is a commercial-grade product, it can withstand heavy foot traffic and is suitable for busy restaurants and other business venues.
- Water-based polyurethane is just as durable as oil-based polyurethane.
- It maintains the color of your completed hardwood floors by remaining clear over time.
- It develops a tough coat that can withstand pets and other activities that cause wear and tear. This quality implies that it will save you money in the long run.
- Bona Traffic HD is available in a variety of sheen levels, including matte, satin, and glossy finishes, allowing you to select your favorite sheen.
- Some purchasers may be put off by the high initial cost of this non fading clear lacquer for wood.
Product #2: Best Non Yellowing Polyurethane for Floors – StreetShoe Water
Basic Coatings’ StreetShoe is your best bet if you want to preserve your wooden floors from turning amber over time.
In terms of durability, this water-borne poly comes in second only to Bona Traffic HD. It is resistant to scuffing and scratching and will keep the surface looking pristine for years.
When applied on hardwood floors in high-traffic areas, its strength comes in useful. You can rely on the poly to save you money over time.
It comes in a variety of sheen qualities, including semi-gloss and high-gloss. This gives you the option of selecting a sheen level other than satin if you prefer a shinier floor.
StreetShoe poly has the fastest cure time ever, curing up to 90% in just 24 hours. This feature saves you time by accelerating your project.
This non yellowing polyurethane also has a low VOC and odor, making it suitable for people and pets as well as allergy sufferers.
- This polyurethane is environmentally beneficial because it may be catalyzed to eliminate waste.
- It generates an extremely durable coat that preserves timber floors and outlasts most of its water-borne counterparts.
- Because of its strong scratch and scuff resistance, it requires little maintenance.
- Some customers remark that the satin finish is glossier than they want.
Some consumers believe the surface is less resistant to pet stains.
Product #3: Best Non Yellowing Polyurethane for Exterior – Pallmann Pall-X 96 Matte
This relatively new water-based polyurethane is extremely durable and well-suited to outdoor applications. Because of its robustness and demonstrated resistance to wear and tear, it can be used successfully on commercial and residential exterior surfaces.
Its strong resistance to UV rays from the sun makes it an excellent choice for covering outside wood surfaces. Pallmann Pall-X 96 has a reduced odor due to its water-based composition.
This exterior poly also has low quantities of volatile organic chemicals, making it suitable for use in homes with pets and people.
This property also makes it safe to use without the need for a respirator or safety mask. It is a quick-drying polyurethane that is perfect for time-critical jobs.
- The product contains a long-lasting water-based composition.
- It dries entirely clear, performing a superb job of keeping the natural color of your wood.
- Because the Pall-X 96 has a quick dry time, you may apply many coats quickly and finish your project in a single day.
- The finish has no sheen, making it ideal for individuals who desire a real matte appearance.
- This product is still new to the market, therefore more testing is needed to gain a more conclusive picture of its strengths and limits.
Product #4: Non Yellowing Clear Coat for the Painted Wood – Loba WS 2K Supra
Loba WS 2K is another long-lasting polyurethane that maintains its clarity in the face of UV radiation and other environmental factors that cause yellowing.
Because of its high durability, it can protect your painted wood for many years, retaining the appearance of your completed wood.
It rarely receives anything less than a five-star rating, owing to its exceptional coverage. Only a small amount of the product is required to adequately coat your project.
It is also simple to implement. You will not require the services of a professional. For a do-it-yourself application, all you need is a T-Bar, a paintbrush, a paint roller, or lambswool. These tools will perform admirably when it comes to applying polyurethane to your project.
The device comes with detailed user instructions that make your job easier. One consumer praised them as “just right.”
- The poly is safe for the environment.
- It does not turn yellow.
- It has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any product in its class.
- Loba has a low VOC, therefore it is safe to use without a respirator. This means you won’t have to pay anything extra to use it for your project.
- The product is still in its early stages on the market.
3-step Method to Fix Yellow Polyurethane
If you already have yellowing polyurethane, it can be fixed with a few simple steps.
- First, sand the surface of the item lightly with grit paper to remove any dirt or other particles that may be causing discoloration.
- Next, apply a non yellowing polyurethane to seal in the color and protect against future fading.
- Finally, make sure to give the item several coats of non yellowing polyurethane for maximum protection and longevity.
Be sure to allow adequate drying time between each coat and finish off with a final clear coat for added shine. With these steps, you should be able to restore your furniture or flooring back to its original state!
Tips for Applying Non Yellowing Polyurethane Correctly
Applying non yellowing polyurethane correctly is important for ensuring its effectiveness and longevity. Here are a few tips to make sure your project turns out great:
• Use a high-quality brush or foam applicator for even coverage.
• When applying multiple coats, sand lightly between each layer with fine grit paper.
• Start in the corners and edges before moving on to larger surfaces for better coverage.
• Working in well-ventilated spaces will help reduce fumes from the product.
• Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully so you can use it safely and effectively.
By following these tips, you should be able to get the best possible results when using non yellowing polyurethane. With the right product, technique and care, your furniture or flooring should stay looking new for years to come!
Is non yellowing polyurethane safe to use indoors?
Yes, non yellowing polyurethanes are generally safe to use indoors as long as you make sure to work in well-ventilated spaces. Be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions before use so you can be sure it’s being used safely and effectively.
Why did the clear coat turn yellow?
Due to polymer degradation, the yellowing of clearcoats is a natural occurrence during weathering processes and under high baking conditions. However, yellowing may occasionally be induced by unanticipated chemical reactions in the clearcoat.
Does polyurethane make white paint yellow?
Any water-based polyurethane will appear clear upon application and will not yellow with time. Initially yellow, oil-based finishes become increasingly amber as they age.
There are 4 best non yellowing polyurethane that you can use to fix your problem with yellow polyurethane. You do not have to go buy a new one, you can just try these tips and see which one works the best for you. If you have any other questions or ideas, please feel free to leave a comment below or contact us at woodworkingskills.com. Thanks for reading and we hope to see you next time at our articles!